Literary Questions with Melanie

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 by Melanie

Have you ever read or watched a movie/TV adaptation of Jane Austen's works, and been overwhelmed by a sudden, driving urge to bitchslap half the characters?

I'm not talking about a gentle lovetap, either. I mean a wholehearted NEED to climb into the story and start smacking Emma, Anne Eliot (I just watched the 1995 production of PERSUASION and Anne spends the bulk of the movie cringing into her scarf or looking like a deer in the headlights) or Mrs. Bennet about the earhole, then give Fitzwilliam Darcy a kick in the ass for good measure.

I thought so. And yes, I know the books are supposed to be satirical and the characters are sometimes melodramatized for effect -- I was an English major, after all. But Jesus they rub me the wrong way.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

1 Comment

  1. Stacy |

    Which is exactly why I havent read any more of Jane Austen! Go out and get some Augusten Bourroughs! His brother just wrote a book about Asburgers that is wonderful and hilarious! I'll give it to you next week when you are here. He's wonderful.

    Also, the Secret life of Bee's is really good too!

     

Post a Comment